Monday, May 19, 2008

PINGOUIN Pingolaine

Pingolaine is 100% Pure new wool, Machine Washable.
200 m/220 yards, 50g/1.75 oz per skein.
Gauge: 30 st, 10 rows per 4 inch square, using #3 US needles.
An early superwash wool, fine gauge perfect for socks and baby items. It's fingering four ply, quite like most modern sock yarns. SOFT and really yummy. Takes a bit of a tug to break it (my favorite test).


This review seems to be about exactly the same yarn as I've got, right down to the yardage and gauge. Year of origin given is 1995.

As this forum thread implies, most recent purchases of Pingouin are made outside the US. Both old yarn and pattern books turn up on eBay too. Other yarn trekkers have discovered Pingouin yarns recently for sale in Paris.



I just love that old logo. Cute! So cute! Aww, cute smelly seabird!!

My intentions were good when in 1982 I purchased hmm about a dozen skeins of this stuff in 4 colors -- olive, orange, yellow and tan -- from Flatlands Yarns on Ralph Avenue in Brooklyn. I wanted a fine-gauge cardigan. But I never made it, the yarn migrated from bag to bag, and now unearthed from its latest mausoleum (the dreaded footlocker in the closet) I'm impressed how well it stood up. No fading, and no moth damage! None! I see no kinder possible fate than baby clothes.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

i just bought about 100 skeins of this yarn at a garage sale for 25cents a skein!! i am sure glad to see that it hold up well at least in storage!the greatest thing aboutt this bu is that there are at least 20 skeins of each color! now lets see if i actually make anything out of it! peace connie

Joanne said...

I have some pingouin chunky wool and years ago made many pairs of mitts from a pattern book that went with the wool. I lost the pattern book and would love to find the mitten pattern again. Can anyone help?

letty said...

I'm hunting for Pingouin yarn called Cottage in the cognac color. It's in 50 gram balls. This is a tweed -like yarn.

Lesley said...

I'm looking for 20 balls of Pingouin "Caline" wool in Mordore, I assume Mordore is the colour, is anyone able to help me please.

Susan said...

I have 4 full skeins of Pingouin <> in color Cherry no. 402 and about 1/2 back of a sweater's worth of another skein (so likely a total of 5 full skeins--not enough to finish that sweater!! The label of the skeins does not say 'Le Yarn' but instead 'Pingouin Fleur De Laine' which is 100% wool and made in Brazil. Does anyone want these skeins?

What I would like is to find Pingofrance in Lichen no. 115 (and a few other colors). It appears, at least as of today (10-8-2011) that Pingouin is still made...in France. I sent them an email to see if they sell/ship to the US, it did not say on their site. Does anyone have this Pingofrance yarn?? I have at least Pingouin knitting books (Nr86 is one, can't find the other right now).

Colleen said...

I am looking for 4 x 50g balls of Pingouin wool/acrylic mix col 07 lot 677370. It is off whouite in colour. does anybody know where I can get some?

Anonymous said...

can anyone tell me what can be used as an alternative to pinguoin star + wool, i have just got a book of patterns and have taken a fancy to a mans ribbed cardigan for my hubby. the needles used are uk 3 3/4 mm and 4 1/2 mm us size 5 and 7. i have not been able to find the pingouin star + wool. please can someone help me.
lynda

Ikie said...

I am looking for 3 to 4 skeins 50g Pengouin bouclette yarn salmon-colored. The numbers listed are RN 55239 - CA 01395. On the back of the label is 06 659160. Anyone have anything like this or where I could find it.

thefoom said...

I'm looking for one skein of Pingouin Pingolaine color 35 (cream). Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Anonymous said...

I am looking for 10 balls of Pingouin Alaska yarn in any color. I know it is discontinued but does anyone know of a yarn that will knit up the same?

Flavia Rousu said...

I am looking for 2 balls of Pingouin Le Yarn 3, 80% acrylic 20% wool in a lovely heather purple color. I have dye lot 11628, color 63, 100 gr. 3 1/2 oz balls. Any help will be forever gratefully accepted!

Sheryl Ternent de Klerk said...

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN:
I have not been able to finish a jumper for 21 years for my daughter who was at Varsity at the time because I needed one ball of Pingouin Rustica Double Knitting Code 7019 03 Lot 7360. I know that this is a long shot but would you by any chance have one ball thereof ?
Yours faithfully,
SHERYL DE KLERK
Email: sheryl@attorneySDeklerk.co.za
Cell: 082 469 2969
2 Vaal Road, Farrarmere Benoni
P O Box 14501 Farrarmere,1518