Monday, May 12, 2008

Yarn #1: Missoni Shanghai

MISSONI Shanghai Yarn by Filatura di Crosa, made in Italy.
Color 205, lot 405.
147 yards, 50 grams/1.75 oz per ball.
Gauge: 16 st, 24 rows per 4 inches using 5 - 5.5 metric needles.
51% Cotton, 34% Silk, 15% polyamid Blend. Handwash recommended on label.
The color is an attractive, sophisticated, muted blend of creams, pale yellows and pale slate blues, twisted with a single dark thread. The texture is firm and slightly nubbly.
This would probably make a fantastic summer scarf or enhance a sock project.

Discontinued many years ago even before Missoni got out of the retail yarn business. It probably wasn't real common even then...

Some time in the late 1990s I purchased three balls of this stuff on whim at NYC yarn shop that sold a lot of high-end yarns and frequently discounted out-of-season or discontinued items. I liked buying a little of this and a little of that, figuring eventually I'd knit something striped or block-intarsia or whatever...never did, of course. They ended up staying in the yarn bag, quietly doing no harm, until I unearthed them the other day.
They may yet end up in my ebay store, or I may fondly keep them for their inspirational quality.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am looking for just one ball of Missoni Elba colour 609 to finish a project - does anyone know where I may get one?