Saturday, June 28, 2008

Botany No-Dye-Lot Yarns 100% Virgin Wool

From Sandrajoi on eBay:

This listing is for 3 skeins of lovely lightweight 3-ply wool yarn from Botany. This is an estate sale find and I believe it to be quite old, though I'm not positive. This is labelled Aquatones "Botany" No-Dye-Lot Yarns. Each is further labelled as "Top-Dyed ~ French Combed ~ French Spun ~ 100% Virgin Wool."

Each skein is 2 ounces in weight, and is marked 'Color 82'. The color is a lovely green -- kind of a seafoam shade. A sales tag on each skein indicates they are from Fishers's; original retail price is 85 cents per skein. Lovely for knitting and crochet projects -- especially from some of the vintage pattern books available!

The label also says "Botany Worsted Yarns, Passaic NJ". The company was founded in 1889. I've found several vintage Botany wool ads for sale. By 1955 the company was having a tough time, apparently. I'm still tracking down the ultimate fate of the company. Their later pattern booklets were ganged with Fleisher's/Bear Brand/Bucilla.
"Botany" is also a textile term for Australian Merino wool, either specifically grown around Botany Bay (Sydney) or any fine wool. The term is still used in England, and Rowan had True 4-ply Botany wool.
By the way, if you have an insatiable thirst for knowledge of the history of wool, this ain't too bad a place to start.
Thank you, sandrajoi, for your permission and encouragement!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi thanks for the info on this yarn, I have just purchased 125 skeins in several colors at an estate here in Maine that I will be listing on etsy and maybe on ebay soon.

orchidgrrl nyc said...

Wow! The ex-estate must've been a whole hive of knitters. I would be happy to have a picture of that mass of yarn to add to this post!

Anonymous said...

Not for sale, But I have some of the Botany yellow in my collection along with some of the catalogs from the 40's and 50's My grandfather used to work at the Botany Mills. I got my stuff off of ebay. Not looking for any more at the moment, but if you want some more information, go to Facebook and see the pics and stories:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2010479&id=1177346883&l=e8250

mamason said...

This may be way off topic, but I have a trash can full of old knitting magazines. I know someone would want them. 1945, Botany Mills patterns? Ebay maybe? Any suggestions? Please let me know.
I live in California

Anonymous said...

I found some yarn identical to this at an estate sale and wondered about it's age. This looks to be reliable source that the Botany Mill was closed for good on December 31, 1955:
http://nj.findacase.com/research/wfrmDocViewer.aspx/xq/fac.%5CNJ%5CNJ2%5C1958%5C19580428_0040283.NJ.htm/qx

Anonymous said...

I have this same yarn in off-white and light pink. I purchased the skeins at a thrift store and am currently knitting socks for my 7 year old daughter. It is amazing to me that I could find some info. about this yarn and now my little girl will really be wearing 'vintage' socks. Thanks for a great website! Jennifer in Chicago