Sunday, June 22, 2008

Sirdar Colorsoft 2000


Colorsoft 2000 is 60% mohair, 40% acrylic blend yarn, bulky weight.
100 gram / 125 yard skeins, 8 ounces each.

Label recommends 6-1/2 mm needles (US 10, 10-1/2), 14 stitches per 4 inches.
Made in England.
Unplied, with an pronounced twist. It is quite soft and luscious.

I bought a lot of this stuff as a closeout sometime in the late 1990s, in a beautiful rich reddish mulberry purple. I simply couldn't stop touching it. That usually means my yarn stash is about to increase. Then I found an oversized cable-textured sweater pattern and went at it.

Um. I stopped knitting after finishing the back and starting the front. I was covered in purple mohair every time I looked. I was plucking mohair off my jeans, my shirts, my sofa, but thankfully not the cats. As tended to happen with my "let's think this over" projects, I bagged yarn and pattern and lost track of the stuff completely for several years. When at last it came again to light, I was having a "finish! finish! finish now!" frenzy and so I did.

With the shedding mohair content, I decided not to combine the sweater with other projects in the wash. The machine had little clumps of purple fibers in the basket, but thanks to cold water, the woolens cycle and Woolite (the combo, I assume) the color didn't bleed and looks just as good.

Then I realized to my dismay the sweater was simply too warm for me to wear in less than sub-arctic conditions. I like bulky yarn to knit because I'm lazy but realistically I seldom go outside in a pullover sweater without a coat. This yarn makes such a warm fabric I felt smothered in it. But damn, it looks and feels soooooo good.

I sold the remaining 2 full skeins plus leftovers on ebay, with some regrets. I might sell the sweater on Etsy.

No comments: